October 1838 saw the opening of the Dundee to Arbroath railway. This line still runs along the northern edge of the reserve and carries trains to Aberdeen.
Another now disused line, and part of the reserve, once ran 17 miles to Forfar, passing through Barnhill, just north of the reserve.
This line opened on 14 November 1871, but lost its passenger service in January 1955 and goods (mainly farm produce and coal for home use) in October 1967.
Known as the Forfar District Line, the previous link to Forfar being via Arbroath.
This old track-bed is now a great retreat for many varieties of wildlife.