Reres Hill content
Reres Hill is located in Broughty Ferry, to the south-east of Dundee. This location provides prime views of the River Tay and over to Fife. The Reres Hill Conservation Area is characterised by its accommodation of a variety of architectural styles, predominantly stemming from the 19th century.
In 1868 Reres Park, also 6.5 acres and with varied natural charm, was secured by the town commissioner for use as a Public Park. The entrance to Reres Park was erected in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. The cost of laying out walks and making improvements to the land was met by the sale of wood from necessary thinning of trees. A low tumble down wall which enclosed this hill on the south was removed in the Victoria Jubilee year, 1887, and replaced by the present strongly built wall surrounded by artistic ironwork.
The most notable public green space within the Reres Hill Conservation Area is Reres Park which includes Reres Hill, accessed via an elaborate archway, Reres Hill is notable space which provides an accessible and enjoyable area within the public realm.
Reres Park is heavily planted with mature vegetation and has many footpaths that line the hill. It is accessed on Monifieth Road via an elaborate archway. Within Reres Hill Conservation area possess a number of street furniture which shall be encouraged and supported. As part of the recently voted on Dundee decides Projects Reres Hill now has Trim trail equipment and upgraded paths.