Household Waste Recycling Centre Vehicle Permits

Trade/Commercial waste is the responsibility of the trader or business producing the waste and cannot be deposited at Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs).  To help to control this, we have introduced height barriers and a household waste vehicle permit scheme.

Householders are entitled to reasonably use vans / trailers to bring their household waste to Baldovie and Riverside HWRCs but will require a vehicle permit.  

If your vehicle requires a permit (see criteria below) then you must be in posession of a valid permit before visiting any of the HWRCs.  Permits are not issued at our HWRCs.

Permits are free to householders wishing to dispose of small quantities of bulky household waste, or to access reuse and recycling facilities. 

Permits are valid for 12 visits after which householders should re-apply for another permit.

Commercial Vehicles

  • No commercial vans are entitled to use the household waste recycling centres to dispose of commercial waste. 
  • Commercial waste is any waste or recyclate produced by a business.
  • Whether you operate out of a shop, warehouse, office, restaurant, van, or your home, you have a legal obligation (Duty of Care, and is part of the Waste (Scotland) Regulations 2012.) to recycle and dispose of your waste using a licensed waste management company. 
  • There are a number of waste collection and disposal companies operating within Dundee. Details of all national waste sites in Scotland are provided on the SEPA website.

Riverside Composting Facility

Commercial businesses can use Riverside Composting site, Wright Avenue Dundee, DD2 1UR for disposal of Green Waste by reporting to the weighbridge.  This waste will be turned into certified PAS 100 Discovery Compost

Van Rental

If a householder hires a van they do not have to apply for a permit.  However, they will be asked to provide proof of hire (i.e. Rental Agreement) by the on-site HWRC attendant.

Borrowing a Company Vehicle

If the vehicle being used has a company logo then an authorisation letter is required from the company allowing the transportation of household waste for private use.  In order to ensure that this public service is not detrimentally affected or being abused by traders, we are entitled to enquire about the source of any waste which appears to be commercial.

Do I need a vehicle permit?

 Vehicles that don’t require a permit

  • car, estate car, people carrier;
  • MPV;
  • 4x4.
  • Rental vans are permitted providing your rental agreement is available for inspection by an on-site recycling attendant

 Vehicles that do require a permit

  • van;
  • pick-up;
  • car, van or pick-up with single axle trailer;
  • mini-bus (8-11 seats).

 Vehicles not allowed on site

  • commercial vans;
  • a vehicle over 3500kg gross weight;
  • a tipper;
  • a vehicle with a twin axle trailer;
  • a vehicle with more than 4 wheels;
  • a vehicle or pedestrian carrying commercial waste.

Other Conditions

  • The HWRC site attendants reserve the right to refuse access to the site if they suspect that the waste is commercial in origin (issue of a permit does not give automatic right to tip). 
  • No trade waste is allowed at any of Dundee City Council’s Household Waste Recyclig Centres. 
  • Only household waste from your own property is allowed.
  • HWRC site attendants are issued with body cameras and use of a DVLA WEE system and CCTV are in operation at these sites.
  • Information collected will be used for monitoring access to the sites, and it may be shared with other organisations for the purpose of investigating breaches of waste regulations and the prevention and detection of crime.
  • Dundee City Council reserves the right to refuse or cancel the issue of permits if provided with false or misleading information.

Apply for a permit

  • Complete and return an HWRC Vehicle Permit application form (182KB PDF) and photocopies of your supporting documents to
  • Failure to provide supporting documentation may delay your permit application.
  • Permits are valid for 12 visits only. Please see application form for full conditions of use.
  • If your permit has expired or you need to update your vehicle or address details, then please complete a new application.

More information

Please download our information leaflet (381KB PDF)
Please download our procedure for checking for trade waste (227KB PDF)
Please view the HWRC inter-authority waste arrangements FAQs