Abandoned Vehicles

A vehicle may be considered to be a waste management issue and abandoned if it meets the following criteria:

  • the vehicle structure/glass has been damaged by vandalism as opposed to damage caused by a road traffic accident
  • the vehicle has unsecured doors and/or boot open
  • the vehicle has been partially or fully burnt out

You can report an abandoned vehicle that is on private land or a public road or public carpark. If reporting an abandoned vehicle on private land, please ensure you have the landowner's permission to report the vehicle before completing the form.

Report an Abandoned Vehicle

A vehicle might not be deemed abandoned if it does not meet the above criteria or if it meets any of these indicators;

  • Nuisance Vehicles (often confused with abandoned vehicles);
  • Sold on the street as part of a business;
  • Involved in local parking dispute;
  • Poorly parked/ obstruction;
  • Untaxed; 
  • No valid MOT certificate;
  • Broken down;
  • Poor condition/ un-sightly.

Untaxed vehicles or those declared as SORN on a public road should be referred to the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) for enforcement. Some older/historical vehicles may be exempt from road tax. An untaxed vehicle may not automatically be assumed to be abandoned. (Check if a vehicle is taxed on the gov.uk website)

Vehicles causing a traffic management issue such as a danger, obstruction or nuisance should be reported to Police Scotland by phone on 101. Alternatively, you can report any local parking or parking enforcement concerns to the council's parking team online via our Contact Us form.