Home Education

Every child has a right to an education. It's the duty of the parent or carer of every school age child to provide that education, either by sending the child to school, or by other means. Home education is an option available to you, as a parent, and it's just as valid a choice as sending your child to school.

Parents/guardians are within their rights to make a request to educate their child at home rather have them taught at one of the local authority schools.

In June 2021 the Scottish Government updated its Home Education Guidance. This followed extensive consultation with authorities, home education organisations and other interested parties.

Parents have the right to educate their children at home, rather than by sending them to school, so long as they fulfil the duty of the parent of every child of school age to provide efficient education suitable to their children's age, ability and aptitude either by sending the child to attend a public school regularly or by other means.

  • "Other means" include:
    • Private School
    • Private Tutor
    • Undertaking to educate the child or young person themselves.

The Process 

  • Parents considering home education are advised to refer to the Scotland Government's guidance. 
  • Parent writes to the Executive Director of Children and Families Service seeking consent to educate the child at home.
  • Education Authority will acknowledge the receipt of this notification.
  • The City Council has a duty under Section 37 of the Act to ensure that the quality of education being offered is satisfactory.
  • Principal Officer meets with the parent(s) and child/children and makes a recommendation to the Executive Director of Children and Families Service. In most instances this meeting will be at the family home but a meeting might be held in a local library or resource centre. Although the Education Authority would prefer this meeting to be in person, parents may prefer to outline their education proposals in writing. The Education Authority would wish to determine the views of the child on the proposal. Again this would be preferable in a meeting with the family.
  • Although there is no statutory right to appeal against an authority's decision to withhold consent to withdraw a child from school, parents may apply for a review of a decision to withhold consent.
  • The frequency of ongoing contact should be agreed at the initial meeting. This will normally be on an annual basis and is intended to be a supportive process and to develop working relationships based on trust and mutual understanding.
  • Although the Education Authority would prefer this ongoing annual contact to be in person, parents might prefer to provide evidence such as samples of work, written educational philosophy, photographic evidence, references from other people
  • Provision of resources is a matter for the parent although the Principal Officer or Home Education Team will offer advice on appropriate resource materials. Parents are also responsible to ensure the suitability of any person they may wish to employ to assist with their child's education including disclosure clearance. Details of how to contact Disclosure Scotland are provided in Appendix 1.
  • Home Education children may be entitled to Educational Maintenance Allowances. Parents should contact the EMA directly to obtain more information.
  • Where parents have children with additional support needs, a clear indication of how these needs are to be met should be included with the home education proposals. Parents may ask the authority for help in assessing the extent of any child's particular needs, and authorities may request the support of Educational Psychologists/other agencies in determining whether permission for home education should be granted or whether home education being provided is suitable and efficient.

For further Information/Guidance on how to go about home educating your child, please see Home Education - Dundee