Central Conservation Area content
Dundee Central Conservation Area contains the historic heart of the city, with origins dating back to the 11th century. Central Conservation Area is enclosed by the inner ring road, created in the 1960's, which physically severs the area from, in particular, the adjacent University Conservation Area and Dundee's waterfront area.
Remnants of medieval Dundee exist in the street pattern of the Murraygate, Seagate, High Street and Nethergate, along with the Howff Cemetery, the 'Old Steeple' and Gardyne's Land (off High Street). There are many important historic closes and pends surviving in the city centre, many of which may be medieval, or contain fragments of medieval fabric within them.
Central Conservation Area contains a wide range of architectural styles - everything from Georgian to Art Deco. Many buildings are architectural set pieces such as the City Churches, McManus Galleries, Dundee High School, St Pauls Cathedral. Significant examples of planned streets also exist such as the neoclassical Reform Street (1832) and Commercial Street (1871), both formed as part of a drive to 'improve' the city at that time. Open space is provided in the environs of City Square, McManus Galleries and the Howff Cemetery.
To the east, the Conservation Area leaps the ring road to incorporate the Customs House providing a tangible link between the city centre and the docks area.
Other nearby Conservation areas: