As a full time student you may be able to get a discount or exemption on your Council Tax.
We can award a 100% exemption if the property is wholly occupied by students or a 25% discount if all but one of the adults living in the property are students.
Applying for Council Tax discount or exemption
- Complete an online Student Discount/Exemption form.
- If you study outwith Dundee and Angus College, University of Dundee or the University of Abertay, you must also complete a Student Certificate (147KB MS Word doc), which can be attached to your online form or emailed separately to firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Benefits - Claiming Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction
- If you are a full-time student you may qualify for help with your Rent and/or Council Tax.
- Further information regarding eligibility and how to apply is available in our Student Benefits section.
Note the following general advice:
- You are responsible for verifying your student status to the council, your landlord cannot do this.
- If a non-student resides with you, they must pay Council Tax (unless they are exempt for a specific reason).
- Please don't send your matriculation card or letters of your offer of student loan/course acceptance – they are not acceptable.
- You must advise the council if you change of address or if you are no longer a student.
- Don't ignore a council tax bill – if you don't notify us that you are a student then you are liable to pay Council Tax.
To qualify as a student, you must either:-
- study for 24 weeks for 21 hours per week in each academic year; or
- be under 20 years old, have left home and be studying for a qualifying course for at least 12 hours a week for three months; or
- be a foreign language assistant working in a school or other educational establishment and be registered with the British Council.
If you would like to request a form on behalf of someone else, please contact us.