Advice on Burst Pipes

Advice on Burst Pipes container

Advice on Burst Pipes content

In the event of a burst pipe, the sooner you can stop the water the more you can reduce the risk of further damage.

Report a repair online (non-emergency)

Turn off the mains water stop cock. You can normally find it under your kitchen sink or where the mains water pipe comes into your home.

Drain the cold water system and reduce the water pressure by turning on all the cold taps in your home and flushing the toilet a few times.

Switch off your central heating and heaters and drain the hot water system by turning on all hot taps.

If water is pouring out of light fittings don't touch the light switch or other electrics. If it’s safe to do so, turn off the mains power.

Call a professional to repair the damage:

  • If you are a council tenant and have a burst pipe, call the Customer Service Team on 01382 434343 and we will arrange to have emergency repairs carried out.
  • If you are an ex-council house owner you are responsible for any burst pipes within your property. However, if the burst occurs in a communal area, please call 01382 434343 for further advice.
  • If you are a private owner or business, you are responsible for any burst pipes within your property. Contractors can be found in the Yellow Pages. The council has a Trusted Trader Scheme which requires contractors to adhere to a code of conduct.
  • If you are a tenant of a landlord other than the council, please contact your landlord for further advice and assistance.

For information about preventing frozen pipes visit