Documents Required

Documents Required container

Documents Required content

When you have booked your wedding date, you must ensure that the necessary paperwork is completed within the correct time. Whether your marriage is in a church, a registrar's office or on top of The Law (in Dundee), you must each complete a Marriage Notice Form (M10).

These should be lodged with the registrar for the district in which the marriage is to take place. Ideally these forms should be returned about six weeks before the date of marriage. The forms are only valid for 3 months, so they cannot be completed too early and they must be lodged within 15 days of the marriage at the very latest.

In addition to these forms, the Registrar will require to see the following documents:

  • Birth Certificates for the bride and groom.
  • Divorce Documents, if applicable
  • Death Certificates, if applicable
  • Certificate of No Impediment, if applicable.

Full details of these documents and the legal preliminaries are available in the leaflet RM1 (24KB  PDF).