Housing Benefit

From 8 November 2017, Universal Credit (UC) replaced Housing Benefit and no new claims for Housing Benefit can be made from this date. 

Universal Credit is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and aims to to make the welfare system simpler by replacing six benefits and tax credits with a single monthly payment. UC applies to claimants of working age only

In general you will only be eligible to make a new application for Housing Benefit if:

  • You have reached Pension Credit qualifying age
  • You are entitled to a Severe Disability Premium (Click here for more information)
  • You live in supported or temporary accommodation

If we've asked you to provide documents and/or information to support a claim, you don’t need to visit our offices or send documents through the post. You can supply this information using our online evidence upload form.

Housing Benefit is administered by the Local Authority on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions, it provides assistance with the payment of rent to those who are on a low income. 

If you rent your property from a Private Landlord, your Housing Benefit will be paid under the Local Housing Allowance scheme.

size criteria also known as 'Bedroom Tax' may affect those in the social rented sector (Council Housing and Housing Associations).

Visit our Benefit Forms page if you wish to apply for Housing Benefit, or to report a change of circumstances.

How will my Housing Benefit be paid?

Benefit Fraud is a crime, don’t let it happen. Report Housing Benefit fraud.

You might find our Housing Benefit frequently asked questions helpful.

Contact Us

If you have any Housing Benefit queries, you can contact us in the following ways:-

By Email:
Our departmental email address is revenues.division@dundeecity.gov.uk

By Telephone:
Call our Customer Services Team by dialling 01382 431205.  Opening hours are: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, 8.30am - 5.00pm; Wednesday 9.30am - 5.00pm.  Calls may be recorded for quality and training purposes.

By visiting us:
Visit us in person at any of our designated enquiry offices.

By post:
Write to us at the following address:-
Executive Director of Corporate Services
Customer Services and IT
PO BOX 218
Dundee DD1 3YS