University Conservation Area content
This incorporates the former South Tay Street and University Precinct areas, first designated in 1984, and Springfield, designated in 1971. The new area extends from the Hawkhill to the new Bank of Scotland building at Marketgait West, and back along the north side of Perth Road from Miller's Wynd, Marketgait West, and back along the north side of Perth Road from Miller's Wynd, including significantly more of the University of Dundee campus (on both sides of Perth Road up to the Roseangle junction).
The University campus combines older buildings and the historic street pattern, along with a remarkable range of purpose designed late 19th and 20th century monumental buildings. Notable are the Geddes Quadrangle (1907), University Tower (1957), Belmont Hall (1963), Fulton Building (1964), Bonar Hall (1975) and Duncan of Jordanstone College (1937 and 1974). Recent additions, like the Library (1986 and 1995) and the Wellcome Trust Building (1997), have continued this trait. Between the buildings the well-landscaped lanes, paths and courtyards contribute significantly to the character of the area. The eastern part is Dundee's Arts Quarter, focused on Dundee Rep Theatre and Dundee Contemporary Arts, with the fine series of late 18th century properties on Nethergate, and South Tay Street, laid out in 1792.
Other nearby Conservation areas: