The Scottish Government passed legislation which took effect on 1 April 2014 enabling householders to apply to the Council in specified circumstances for a high hedge notice.
From that date a householder can apply for action to be taken in connection with a hedge that consists of a row of 2 or more trees or shrubs and rises to a height of more than 2 metres and forms a barrier to light. Provided that they can show that they consider that the height of the hedge adversely affects the reasonable enjoyment of their property and that they have taken all reasonable steps to resolve matters in relation to the high hedge, then they can make the application. A fee of £400 will be payable.
- View Scottish Government Legislation to see the legislation which was enacted
- The Scottish Government has provided guidance to the Council on the operation of the Act.
- View our High Hedges FAQ’s for further guidance
- Download High hedge application form in Microsoft Word format (265KB MS Word doc)
- Download High hedge application form in Adobe Acrobat PDF format (169KB PDF)
For any inquiries about this matter please do one of the following: