While the primary purpose of Part 1 of the Land Reform Act is to establish statutory access rights to all suitable land, whether or not defined paths exist, it is recognised that the majority of access takes place along defined routes. Section 17 of the Act requires Local Authorities to provide a system of core paths that are sufficient for the purpose of giving the public reasonable access throughout their area. In other words these core paths will form a basic network of routes for exercising your access rights. These will link into wider path networks and general access areas, such as open land, woods, fields and hills.
We carried out informal consultations in 2006 and 2007 to draw up the plan. The first round of consultation we formed a good idea of the places where people like to take access across Dundee. Working with the Local Access Forum we developed a network of paths from the consultation data and ensured that the paths met key criteria. In the second round of consultations we put these proposals forward to ensure we got the plan right.
We made a few changes to the plan after the informal consultations had been completed and then undertook the formal consultation process, where we received and took on board your final comments, suggestions and representations.
On the 26th of January 2009 Dundee City Council adopted the Core Paths Plan. You can download the maps and report below, view it in your local library or request a copy from the Access Officer.
Dundee City Council has an obligation to provide an Environmental Report as part of the Core Paths Plan. This is available as a PDF document for you to download.
- Core Paths Plan Report (2.7MB PDF)
- Overview Map (1.73MB PDF)
- Map 1 (Western Countryside) (315KB PDF)
- Map 2 (Camperdown Country Park) (642KB PDF)
- Map 3 (Ardler, St Mary's and Kirkton) (662KB PDF)
- Map 4 (Lochee, Charleston and Menzieshill) (732KB PDF)
- Map 5 (West End) (238KB PDF)
- Map 6 (Central) (723KB PDF)
- Map 7 (Caird Park, Trottick and Finlathen) (343KB PDF)
- Map 8 (City Centre) (577KB PDF)
- Map 9 (West Ferry) (582KB PDF)
- Map 10 (Douglas, Whitfield and Fintry) (326KB PDF)
- Map 11 (North East Countryside) (506KB PDF)
- Map 12 (Broughty Ferry) (634KB PDF)
- Environmental Report December 2008 (1.49MB PDF)
Tel: 01382 434769