Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment container

Personal Independence Payment content

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a new benefit that was introduced in April 2013, replacing disability living allowance (DLA) for working-age people (aged 16-64).Β Β  PIP differs from DLA although there are some similarities.

What is PIP? (watch the videos on the Welfare Reform page)

A non means-tested benefit for people who:

  • need help taking part in everyday life or
  • Find it difficult to get around

Made up of two components:

  • Daily living
  • Mobility

Each component is paid at two differentΒ levels:

  • Standard rate
  • Enhanced rate

Disability living allowance (DLA) will be phased out and replaced with personal independence payments for 16-64 year-olds.

From June 2013, new claims for disability benefits will be for PIP and not for DLA. You will have to fill in an application form and you will probably have to attend a new medical assessment.

From October 2013, if you are of working age and receiving disability living allowance and you report a change in your condition, you will have to apply for PIP instead. YouΒ may also have to apply for PIP if your benefit award is due to be renewed. If you need help contact the council's Welfare Rights service,Β the CONNECT teamΒ or the Citizens' Advice Bureau before you apply for PIP.

Β If you are still receiving DLA, and are aged between 16 - 64 on the 8 April 2013, you will be given the opportunity to apply for PIP at some pointΒ between 2015Β to 2018.Β  You will be sent a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) inviting you to apply for PIP.Β  This includes people with a "lifetime" or indefinite award.Β Β  If you do not apply within the timescale detailed on your letter, your DLA payments will stop.

What can you do?

If you needΒ help or adviceΒ about these changes, contact the council's Welfare Rights service, the CONNECT teamΒ or the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Welfare Reform Logo