Dundee City Council has decided to conduct a 12 month pilot to offer the opportunity to advertise on its website and staff intranet to suitable businesses and organisations.
dundeecity.gov.uk is visited half a million times by people who live in and around Dundee every month. This, combined with the unique community services delivered through the site, make it a powerful vehicle for local and national organisations to promote themselves to the people of Dundee.
Why do we offer advertising on our website?
- To channel national advertising campaign spend onto dundeecity.gov.uk which can then be invested by the city council.
- To offer a powerful promotional tool for local businesses and the local economy
- To offer a communication and engagement channel for local public and third sector organisations.
Dundee uses the Council Advertising Network (CAN) to deliver advertising across its website and intranet. The Council Advertising Network is a network of local authorities generating revenue from appropriately sourced advertising across their digital estates.
If you are looking to place advertisements on our websites and would like more information then please email Advertisingteam@capacitygrid.com
Website Advertising Policy
As part of the Councils long term goal of reducing costs, Dundee City Council ("the Council") has permitted the use of controlled advertising on its web site www.dundeecity.gov.uk. This policy is intended to provide guidelines as to the type of advertising that may be permitted and the technical standards associated with the display of those advertisements. Links to this policy will be displayed alongside all advertising placements.
The placement of advertisements within the site will be coordinated to ensure they do not compromise the prime purpose and functionality of the website.
All advertisements are subject to approval before they are placed on the Council's web site. The Council reserves the right to refuse to promote or to remove any individual advertisement, which, in the opinion of the Council is considered inappropriate. The suitability of individual advertisers may be checked with the Council's Trading Standards department.
All adverts must adhere to the codes of conduct laid down by the Advertising Standards Authority and must not conflict with the Council's aims and priorities. The Advertising Standards Authority's Code includes provisions that marketing communications:
- Must be legal, decent, honest and truthful
- Must not bring advertising into disrepute, in addition must not bring the council into disrepute.
- must conform to the Code
- must respect the principles of fair competition
- Advertising will also be subject to the Code of Practice on Local Government Publicity and the requirements of the Financial Services Authority.
The promotion of any advertisement on the Council's website should not been seen as an official endorsement or recommendation of that advertiser's products or services.
The Council is not responsible for the quality or reliability of the product or services offered within any advertisement. The Council would never knowingly run an advertisement that is misleading, offensive, untrue or fraudulent.
Dundee City Council does not support or endorse any company or organisation advertising on its website.
The Council does not accept responsibility for errors, omissions or for any consequences arising when visiting third party websites when following advertising link.
Most products and services may be promoted on the Council's website, however, some specific categories of products and services are prohibited as defined below.
This list is not comprehensive and may be changed at any time.
- Lobby groups
- Manufacturers and distributors of alcohol and tobacco products
- Manufacturers and distributors of drugs and pharmaceutical products
- Manufacturers and distributors of weaponry and related products
- Organisations in financial or legal conflict with the Council
- Political organisations
Prohibited products and services:
- Gambling and betting
- Pornography and adult services
- Weaponry or violence
Behavioural targeting, cookies and privacy